Search
image

Meinrad Rumely was the founder and guiding spirit of the Rumely Companies for more than 50 years. He came to America from Germany in 1848, and in 1853 on this site opened a blacksmith shop that was to grow into a large manufacturing concern. Trained as a blacksmith and millwright, he was blessed with a keen mechanical aptitude and strong leadership abilities. He systematically broadened the line of products his company produced and steadily expanded its facilities. He also inspired loyalty among his employees, many of whom worked for Rumely their entire careers. His civic and philanthropic activities directly resulted in a new fire station, St. Joseph’s Parochial School, and Holy Family Hospital, one of the predecessors of LaPorte Hospital. By the time of his death in 1904, he was widely referred to as “The Grand Old Man of LaPorte.”

 

More information about Rumely and his company is available at https://www.in.gov/history/state-historical-markers/find-a-marker/the-rumely-companies/

Rate us and Write a Review

Cleanliness

Service

Ambience

Price

Browse

Your review is recommended to be at least 140 characters long

image

image