Holy Trinity Lutheran Church traces its earliest beginnings actually more than one hundred years ago when Rev. William Jentsch of Waterbury was meeting with area Lutherans. At the same time, others were in the habit of going to Immanuel Lutheran Church in Bristol for worship. In 1896, Rev. Jentsch entrusted the spiritual care of the entire flock to Rev. Otto Duessel, of Immanuel, who, shortly thereafter, offered to come to the area to conduct worship services in a schoolhouse on Fiddlers Green in Pequabuck. This group soon organized as The German Evangelical Lutheran St. Paul Congregation U.A.C. (Unaltered Augsburg Confession) of Terryville, Connecticut.

In 1902 a church building was built and dedicated on Main Street. The congregation continued to grow to the point where the majority of members urged that it became self-supporting, and able to call its own pastor. Rev. Duessel and a number of others did not concur and a split resulted. After the church was padlocked for six months, the civil courts finally settled the matter awarding the property to the majority, who favored calling a pastor. The congregation continues today as St. Paul Lutheran Church and is located at 32 Main Street, Terryville.

Click here to read more.

Rate us and Write a Review






Your review is recommended to be at least 140 characters long